Axiom Event Productions seeks community-focused and service-oriented people to join the Portland Neighborhood Greenways Response Team. The Portland Bureau of Transportation has hired Axiom to place and maintain a network of over 100 Greenways installations, a series of barricades and signs that will encourage these streets to be used by cyclists, walkers, runners & rollers. The Slow Streets | Safe Streets initiative aims to reconfigure streets to support physical distancing, address increased movement, and support the City of Portland’s re-opening process.
The PDX Greenways Response Team is a collaboration between neighbors, volunteers and Axiom staff to maintain these barricade installations, to benefit those people who use our Greenways streets for active transportation and recreation. Axiom’s mission is to keep these installations in place and always looking perfect, for the duration of the project. When there is a report of a moved, missing, or vandalized location, our response team will be ready to repair it asap, seven days a week.
The PDX Greenways Response Team is an on-call, paid position, for the duration of the project. The Greenways network is divided into 8 zones. Each zone will have 2-3 Response Team members, supplied with repair and maintenance materials. The goal is to provide a near-immediate deployment of the response team to fix any issues with the Greenways installation, and to be cheerful ambassadors for the project to any neighbors we interact with.
- Be on-call, per an agreed-upon schedule, to respond to community reports of Greenways installation repairs.
- Provide service to all the installations within the zone, as shared among the other Response Team members.
- Store and request restock of maintenance supplies, including hardware and a couple signs (no barricades or large items).
- Upon accepting a response order, act quickly to depart and repair the installation.
- Carefully study maps, pictures and instructions to ensure that all Greenways installation barricades and signage are perfectly placed every time.
- Be a cheerful ambassador of the Slow Streets | Safe Streets and Greenways programs to the public, especially to people in cars and critics you may meet.
Skills and Qualifications
- Supporter of the Slow Streets | Safe Streets initiative and the goals of the Portland Neighborhood Greenways program.
- Have pride in serving Portland and our neighbors in a quick, professional and friendly manner.
- Be dependable and consistent when called upon for installation maintenance.
- Have the presence to follow clear instructions, but problem solve to achieve the best results.
- Have the ability to communicate assertively, positively, and empathetically with confused or upset people.
- Live in or near one of the eight PDX Greenways response zones.
- Provide transportation for self and materials to and from the installation sites. Bicycles are preferred; trailers are available for use.
- Own a cell phone with a data plan, functioning camera, and capable of sending and receiving texts.
- Wear work appropriate clothing, including closed toed shoes.
- Can repeatedly lift 40 pounds.
- No requirement to host barrels, barricades or signs.
COVID-19 Health and Safety Requirements
- If you feel sick, or have COVID symptoms, please stay home and don’t accept a response call.
- Face coverings are required to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Maintain a minimum of six-foot distance between yourself and others.
- Cover your sneeze or cough with a tissue or your elbow.
- Do not shake hands or engage in any unnecessary physical contact.
- Wash hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and water or use sanitizer.
- Staff Supervisor: PDX Greenways Dispatcher
- Length of Commitment: For the duration of of the Slow Streets | Safe Streets initiative
- Training: A single training session prior to first response
- Employment: The PDX Greenways Response Team will be on-call employees of Axiom Event Productions. Work is only as-needed and only per PDX Greenways Dispatch order. There are no guarantees of work or compensation during a given pay period. All compensation will be sent through payroll, with checks mailed out on the second and fourth weeks of the month.
- Compensation: Flat-fee per response, based on $20/hr, and calculated to include transportation and maintenance time.
How to Apply
Axiom Event Productions is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages people with diverse backgrounds and abilities to apply.
PDX Greenways Zones