We believe in building community through events. Axiom produces more than two dozen events per year including Portland Sunday Parkways, Mississippi Street Fair, Worst Day of the Year Ride, and the Cinco de Mayo Fiesta.
Unleash your enthusiasm and organizational power by assisting Axiom in the production of these Portland-based community events and more. Recruit and coordinate more than 2000 volunteers in the preparation and production of events. Be a leader in the office who is friendly, supportive, patient, and energetic.
The Volunteer Manager will also support our portfolio of running and cycling events in customer service. Communicate to our customers, both in person and in writing, with assertiveness and patience in answering their questions and concerns. They will be responding to customers’ questions and emails through the event registration process and supporting event-day check-in at the events when possible.
Full Time: Average 40 hours per week; salaried rate depending on experience.
- Volunteer Management:
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with various individuals and groups of volunteers, to create buy-in for the shared vision of the event.
- Recruit new volunteers and assure they get proper orientation and recognition.
- Build volunteer opportunities to build leadership, ownership, and community within our events.
- Maintain service records of all volunteers; provide periodic reports to management.
- Event Production Support:
- Prepare all event staff and volunteer coordination communications across all Axiom events.
- Lead the packing and unpacking of supplies of each of the Parkways events
- Lead 20-50 volunteers and a section of the route as a Parkways Volunteer Coordinator
- Support 12-15 events as a Volunteer Coordinator or other role
- Customer Service Coordination:
- Manage the online registration platform for Events by Axiom, and others we manage
- Work with Event Directors in updating information and keeping participants current
- Answer questions and deliver other communications to customers for each event
- Recap each event and provide feedback for future improvements to the process and events
- Be a cheerful ambassador for Axiom and the events to clients, volunteers, participants, and members of the public.
Skills and Qualifications
- 1-3 years volunteer coordination experience.
- Able to manage volunteers with diverse expectations, skills, interests, and abilities.
- Stamina and positivity for working long hours on consecutive days
- Enjoyment in problem solving, adapting and performing in high-pressure situations and in large crowds
- Ability to follow specific instructions with excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work independently, quickly, and confidently
- Valid driver’s license and a clean driving record
- Own a laptop to work from, and smartphone with data plan
- Preferred: Skills in Microsoft Excel, Google Drive, mail merge, and website editing
- Work Location: scheduled time in office or independently from home. On location for specific events.
- Must be available for the production of the following events – no exceptions:
- Cinco de Mayo Fiesta: May 3-5
- Six Sunday Parkways events:
- May 17-20
- June 28-July 1
- July 19-22
- August 2-5
- August 23-26
- September 20-23
- Mississippi Street Fair: July 11-16
- Other occasional weekend events throughout the season
- Must have perceptual and judgment ability to recognize and respond verbally to safety concerns, and to deal appropriately with any disagreements or conflicts
- Physical Demands: 50% Sitting, 30% Walking/Standing, 20% Lifting/Carrying 30-50 Pounds. Event days may last 15 hours or more, with appropriate breaks included
- Work environment ranges from quiet office space to noisy roadsides in high-traffic areas, and various outdoor weather conditions
- Occasional evening meetings and some travel will be required.
How to Apply
Please email us for an application form: Jobs@AxiomEventProductions.com. Please put the position title in your email subject line.
Axiom Event Productions is an Equal Opportunity Employer.